This tour is something out of the ordinary. Not only will you get to experience the wonders of Burgundy, you will participate in a full wine education course to be run in conjunction with the wine tour. Mornings will be largely devoted to Nathalie's wine education course and the afternoons and evenings will be filled with exploration, fine food and of course, magnificent wines.
Burgundy is quite simply, the mecca for all wine lovers. It's an enchanting region with an incredibly rich and varied history of wine making. Some of the world's finest (and most expensive) wines hail from Burgundy. It's the one region where you can really begin to understand the French when they speak of terroir. The vineyards are compact and the diversity can be quite bewildering to the uninitiated. Then you need to come to grips with the various appelations from the regional varieties up to the Grand Cru wines. Nathalie purposely seeks out the quality wines from vignerons that will astound and surprise you with their depth and character.
Luckily Nathalie has an intimate knowledge of Burgundy and it's magnificent wines. Our tour will take you to those must see icons such as Chablis, Château du Clos de Vougeot and Château de Pommard but really, it's the place's she knows that only her local knowledge will give you access to that makes this tour unique. If you want a perfect mix of luxury accommodation, highlights of Burgundy plus intimate, authentic money can't buy experiences, then please join us in Bourgogne soon.
Burgundy Wine Tour Highlights
- Visiting Chablis where you will enjoy a private and unique tasting from the seven officially delineated Grand Cru climats. You will taste a dozen different Grand Cru Chablis wines and vintages from Bougros, Les Preuses, Vaudésir, Grenouilles, Valmur, Les Clos and Blanchot.
- Stay in the heart of Chablis village in a luxury hotel with cellars dating back to the 13th century. Visit a nearby historic Château that has been in the same family for 400 years, enjoying a private tour of the vineyards, Château and cellars.
- Moving to the heart of Burgundy, the Côte de Nuits, you will stay in a wonderfully restored Château for 2 nights. We then move to the and Côte de Beaune and 2 nights in a 5 star boutique luxury hotel in beautiful and historic Beaune. You will enjoy an intimate and club atmosphere with our wonderful hosts
- A helicopter flight over the Côte de Nuits and Côte de Beaune so you can really see the unique nature and terroir of Burgundies vineyards from the air.
We will also
- Visit the UNESCO World Heritage site which is the Château du Clos de Vougeot and the renowned Château de Pommard
- See first hand the unique viticulture of Burgundy wine growing region and in particular the organic and bio-dynamic viticulture practices of a select group of winemakers
- Delve into the terroir, climats and appellations that make up the unique patchwork of vineyards that is Burgundy. You will leave the tour with a much greater understanding and appreciation of all that is unique about Burgundy.
Wine Course Details
Nathalie Amey runs wine education and appreciation courses in both Europe and Australia. You can view the full course details which is made up of five 2 hour modules click here. To see details of the complete wine tour schedule with integrated wine education course, click here
Limited to 6 persons only
Burgundy - Possibly the Most Renowned Wine Region in the World
The world-famous Burgundy (Bourgogne in French) vineyards produce some of the most prestigious and expensive wines in the world. The top wines are mostly produced on a narrow strip of land running south from Dijon, on the western fringe of the Saône plain, in the Côtes de Nuits and the Côtes de Beaune vineyard areas. These include names such as Gevrey-Chambertin, Vosne-Romanée, Pommard, Volnay and Clos Vougeot. Burgundy’s vignerons only have small vineyards, rarely more than 10 hectares. They are often protected behind stone walls and iron gates, so valuable are the grapes that they produce.
In Burgundy, two great French passions, wine and food, come together here in a particularly rich and enticing form. Indeed, Burgundy's centuries-old history of viticulture, combined with the remarkable diversity of its wine-growing terroir, have made the region's vineyards a strong candidate for UNESCO World Heritage status.
About 200 million years ago, the region was part of a vast, tropical sea which created limestone soils, the secret behind the zesty minerality that’s a hallmark of Burgundy wines. When we venture into the vineyards, you will see chunks of limestone or marl (limestone mixed with clay) that have fascinating fossilized sea creatures mixed within. The story behind how the vine roots and fossils interact to impart unique flavours is all part of the explanation of terroir and climat that Nathalie will share with you in each vineyard.
Here, winemaking goes back to the Romans in the 1st century AD but it was the Catholic monks that really established the vineyards in the Middle Ages growing grapes for the church and the aristocratic Dukes of Burgundy. The French Revolution gave the land back to the people who, today, pride themselves on their attachment to the land. So much so that many are practicing sustainable, organic and bio-dynamic viticulture and winemaking in ever increasing numbers. It is these vignerons Nathalie has sought out for this tours because of the depth and quality of their wines.
A tour of Burgundy with Nathalie is the ultimate experience for all wine lovers and one you must do at least once in your lifetime.